There are many contexts where a group can be led philosophically. Philosophical practice is dialogically – or dialectically – rooted. Such dialogue can be conducted within two minds (or an author and a reader) and a part of philosophical practice focuses on these kinds of dialogues. Dialogue with and within groups bring other challenges and dynamics. This weekend course is designed to strengthen your skills in facilitating group insights as a philosophical practitioner. This will be done through a mixture of lectures, dialogue, and activities.
The core topics we will cover are the following:
- A brief history of philosophy as group dialogue, from Socrates to Leonard Nelson
- What happens in groups: An introduction to group dynamics
- Workshop 1: Collective thought, beyond the sum of opinions
- Philosophers as facilitators: the art of listening and guiding
- Workshop 2: Worldview mapping, valuation, and contradictions in the context of groups
- The philosophical art of concluding: Synthesis, outcomes, decisions
After completing the course each participant will receive a certificate from the Swedish Society for Philosophical Practice (SSFP: Svenska Sällskapet för Filosofisk Praxis). This course counts as partial fulfillment of the requirements needed for being a practicing member of SSFP (please see Våra medlemskap for more details).
Knowledge requirements: You should be comfortable with basic philosophical terms and philosophical practice. However, there is no need for extensive background knowledge academic training in philosophy. If you are unsure if you are adequately equipped please contact the course leaders.
Luis d Miranda, Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Edinburgh, author of several books, researcher, and philosophical counsellor in Stockholm. luisdemiranda.com
Joshua Bronson, Ph.D. in philosophy from University of London and organizational philosopher in Gothenburg. bronson-consulting.com
Location: Slottsbacken 8, 11130 Stockholm
Time: 10-17 both days
Cost: 2 500 kr för SSFP members, 2 750 kr for others (additional 25 % VAT if invoice desired)
Last day to register: 26/11
Registration and questions: email@example.com
Please specify the following:
1) your previous education or experience of philosophical practice.
2) any dietary requirements so the appropriate fika can be prepared.